American women typically wear a size 8 to 12. While some stores consider 12 a plus size, others consider it a 14. If you are a plus size, you know how confusing the size maze can be. Just because a 16 suits one store or style doesn’t mean it will suit another.
With that in mind, here are some ideas on how to buy clothes that look great on you.
How to find your “perfect fit”
Shopping for clothes can be a frustrating experience if you don’t know your size. However, finding the right size clothes for your body isn’t that hard if you follow a few simple tips.
- Find a good fit. Sizes vary from store to store, so try not to get caught up in the tag numbers. Instead, pay attention to how the garment feels when you wear it. Is it comfortable? Does it fit well on the shoulders and around the waist?
- Remember that all clothes are not created equal. Some brands are small while others are big. So, if you ever have any doubts about the size and fit of the clothes you like in a store, always try them on before buying them. This is the only way to be sure you have the right size.
- Focus on loose rather than tight clothing. Opt for flowing outfits rather than fitted ones. For example, plus size flowy tops are great for a variety of reasons. Tops like these can make you feel beautiful and confident as they are flattering for different body types.
Complete your new look with the right accessories
Accessories can take an outfit from good to great. You can use them to add color, texture, and patterns. They will accentuate your sense of style and taste.
The pieces you choose can help you dress up or down, depending on the look you’re going for with your outfit. For example, wearing heels with jeans and a t-shirt can help you dress down, while a scarf can help you dress down by adding a touch of warmth and interest to an everyday blazer.
Accessories can also be practical. A carefully selected belt can cinch a loose dress while sunglasses can protect your eyes on a sunny day. So think of them as versatile trifles that can have a significant impact on the look of your outfit. Next time you dress up, grab a few key accessories to complete your look.
How to find a quality plus size clothing brand
There are several ways to find a quality plus size clothing brand:
- Interrogate. Sometimes you can get the most useful fashion tips from your friends, family, and colleagues.
- Lily. Browse online reviews or check out plus size fashion blogs to see the brands people are raving about.
- To research. After compiling a list of potential brands by asking and reading, research them. Visit the websites of the brands on your list to see if they offer the type of clothing you want. Pay attention to the quality of the clothes and make sure that the sizes indicated on the website correspond to your own measurements.
Ready to shop?
Visit a brand’s websites or research their labels in stores to see if they offer the style of clothing you’re looking for. Next, make sure you understand the return policy. Before making a purchase, find out about return policies. Also, be sure to keep your receipts somewhere you can find them easily so you can return a product that doesn’t fit or doesn’t look as good as expected.